Combined Flow Reactor
Combined Flow Reactor
This set-up is used to study a non-catalytic homogeneous second order liquid phase reaction under ambient condition in a combined reactor. It consists of two reactors connected in series, one is plug flow reactor and another mixed flow reactor. In an ideal Plug Flow Reactor (PFTR) there is no mixing in the direction of flow and complete mixing perpendicular to direction of flow.
Concentration of reactants varies along the length of reactor but not in radial direction. In case of a coil turbulence is introduced due to frequent change in direction of flow and presence of secondary flow, so a higher value of reaction rate constant is expected in coil tube type plug flow reactor. In an ideal MFR (i.e. an ideal steady state flow reactor) the contents in reactor are well mixed and have uniform composition throughout. Thus the exit stream has the same composition as the fluid within the reactor.
The set up consists of two feed tanks through which two reactants are fed to the reactors fitted in series. Rota meters are provided to measure the individual flow of Chemicals. The flow rate can be adjusted by operating the needle valves provided on respective Rota meter. The compressed air is used for circulation of feed. 1st is a helical coil tube type reactor made up of SS pipe. Reactants enter at lower end coming out of the top of coil from where it is fed to a MFR fitted with stirrer for proper mixing. Samples are collected for analysis. Pressure Regulator, Pressure Gauge and Safety Valve are fitted in the compressed air line.
The same setup can be used as individual Plug Flow Reactor (Coil Tube type) and Mixed Flow Reactor.
- Sponification Reaction Study in a Combined Reactor
- Sponification Reaction Study in Coil Tube Type Plug Flow Reactor
- Sponification Reaction Study in a MFR.
- To determine Reaction Rate Constant.
- Compressed Air Supply at 2 Bar, 0.5 CFM.
- Water Supply & Drain
- Instruments, Laboratory Glassware and Chemicals required for analysis as per the system adopted.
- 1st Reactor: Material Stainless Steel, Capacity 0.7 Ltrs. (approx)
- 2nd Reactor: Material Stainless Steel, Capacity 2 Ltrs (Approx).
- Stirrer for MFR: Stainless Steel Impeller and shaft coupled with FHP motor Remi/Eltek make
- Feed Tank (2Nos.): Material Stainless Steel, Capacity – 20 Ltrs.
- Feed circulation: By compressed air.
- Flow Measurement: Rotameter 2 Nos. (one each for Reactants) Eureka/IEPL make.
- Piping : Stainless Steel and PVC
- Pressure Regulator: 0-2 Kg/cm2 Janetics/Shavo Norgen make.
- Pressure Gauge: Bourdon type 0-2 Kg/cm2 Mass/Pricol make.
- The whole set-up is ingeniously designed and schematically arranged on a powder-coated rigid structure.