Metacentric Height Apparatus
Metacentric Height Apparatus – Engineering Equipments
Metacentric Height Apparatus is used to measure the initial static stability of a floating body. It is calculated as the distance between the centre of gravity of a ship and its metacentre. The Unit consists of a small tank. Water is poured in it and a small ship model float over it .The ship model is provided with a horizontal guide bar, over which a small weight can be slided. Displacement of weight is measured with a scale. A pointer is attached at the centre of ship. When the weight slides, the ship tilt. The angle of tilt is measured by displacement of pointer & from then the metacentric height of ship can be studied.
- Water tank with fiber lining inside.
- Ship model with a horizontal guide bar for sliding weight & pointer hung from a hook.
- Scales for measuring displacement of sliding weight & pointer.
- Distances from centre of ship (X) = 50mm,100mm,140mm,205mm
- Weight of the ship Model(Wc) = 8500 gm = 0.083385 kN
- Weights provided with Ship = 100 gm, 250 gm, 500 gm